Find A PhysicianHome  |  Library  |  myDownstate  |  Newsroom  |  A-Z Guide  |  E-mail  |  Contact Us  |  Directions
curve gif

Federal Work Study Program

The Federal College Work Study Program provides funds for jobs for students who wish to earn part of their educational expenses. You may apply if you are enrolled at least half-time (six credits per semester for undergraduate students and 5 credits per semester for graduate students). The amount you may earn is determined by the Office of Financial Aid, based on your demonstrated need for assistance and the funds available.

The types of jobs available to students through College Work-Study are varied. Many students are offered jobs directly related to their academic program. A listing of available positions is available the Office of Financial Aid. During the academic year you may work no more than twenty (20) hours per week. The salary you receive will range from $9.00 to $12.00 per hour, depending upon the responsibilities of the job and your qualifications. Federal College Work-Study net earnings can now be applied to tuition, fees, room and board on a student's account at the students' request.

For more information, contact the Office of Financial Aid at (718) 270-2488.

Summer College Work Study

If you wish to be employed in the Work Study program during a summer period of non-enrollment, it is possible only if you will be enrolled during the following Fall semester. Amounts earned during such a summer period may reduce eligibility for loan programs in the following fall and spring semesters. You must demonstrate financial need based on the federal need analysis.

  • Work Study Forms
  • Work Study Positions