Find A PhysicianHome  |  Library  |  myDownstate  |  Newsroom  |  A-Z Guide  |  E-mail  |  Contact Us  |  Directions
curve gif

Admissions Requirements

You must have completed at least 90 semester credits from a college or university institutionally accredited and recognized by the Council of Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA)  such as: the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, the Higher Learning Commission, the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. If you have any questions about whether a transfer course will be accepted, you should check with the Office of Student Admissions prior to enrolling in the course.  Admissions preference is also given to applicants who have completed prerequisite courses in four year colleges/universities in the United States (not in study abroad programs); and to applicants who have completed science prerequisites in a traditional classroom setting (not through distance learning).

If you were educated abroad, a minimum of two full time semesters (one academic year) of college study at a college or university in the United States that is institutionally accredited and recognized by  CHEA  prior to application is required (any exceptions are at the discretion of the Admissions Committee). In addition, you must demonstrate English proficiency, both verbally and in writing, if your prior medium of instruction was in another language. If a substantial amount of your education has been completed abroad, or if you have completed science prerequisites abroad, you are required to submit a course by course educational credentials evaluation from a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) agency, such as World Educational Services to enable the Committee on Admissions to assess prior academic performance.

Prerequisite/courses required for entrance into the College of Medicine:

A baccalaureate degree in any discipline from a college or university accredited by a regional accrediting organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) such as the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, New England Association of Schools and Colleges, North Central Association, Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.

Courses Semester credits
English * 6
General Biology or Zoology including labs 8
General Physics including labs 8
General or Inorganic Chemistry including labs ** 8
Organic Chemistry including labs 8

Note: If your college follows the quarter system, usually three courses equate to two courses under the semester system. Check very carefully to be sure that you have completed the required number of courses plus labs. If your college has separate lecture and lab courses, you might need to take more than the indicated number of credit hours above, to fulfill course sequences.

* In general, the Committee does not accept English courses taken abroad to fulfill the English admission requirement. Courses which have the English department prefix are accepted to fulfill the English requirement. If you have an interdisciplinary course or if your college or university accepts other courses to fulfill writing or English requirements, if accepted, please upload a scanned letter from your college stating this information to your admissions portal. Remember to include your name and AMCAS ID on any communication with us.

** If your college/university offers an intensive one-semester general or inorganic chemistry course with lab for qualified students, and considers this equivalent to the traditional two-semester course, you may use this to satisfy our requirement for general chemistry. However, you should also take a higher level chemistry course, preferably Biochemistry. In addition, you should indicate in the prerequisite section on the Supplemental Application that the one-semester course is an advanced general or inorganic chemistry course, and upload a copy of the catalog description or a letter from the Department of Chemistry verifying this to your admissions portal. Remember to include your name and AMCAS ID on any communication with us.

The Committee on Admissions looks favorably on a program of study that includes at least one year of college mathematics and advanced science subjects.   Courses in biochemistry, biostatistics and statistics are strongly recommended. Other desirable courses include anatomy, physiology, histology, cell biology, genetics, neuroscience, social sciences, humanities, sociology and psychology. The Admissions Committee also seeks individuals who have a demonstrated commitment to non-medical community/social service outreach activities.

Do we accept AP credits for our prerequisites?

If your undergraduate college has awarded you AP credits and the credits are listed on your transcript, we will also accept your AP credits to fulfill our prerequisites if the course is listed by subject title on your final official college transcript. However, in order for the Admissions Committee to consider you to be competitive for admission, you should take advanced level science course work equivalent to the number of credit hours which have been accepted for AP prerequisites.

New York State Residency for Tuition Rates

You do not have to be a New York State Resident to apply for admission or to be considered for acceptance.