Find A PhysicianHome  |  Library  |  myDownstate  |  Newsroom  |  A-Z Guide  |  E-mail  |  Contact Us  |  Directions
curve gif

Federal Pell Grant

The U.S. Department of Education uses a standard formula to calculate an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) based on the information provided on the Federal Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) and the following in order to determine your Pell eligibility:

  • your financial need,
  • your cost of attendance,
  • your status as a full-time or part-time student, and
  • ​your plans to attend school for a full academic year or less.
  • Must be enrolled in an undergraduate course of study
  • A student who has not earned a baccalaureate degree or a graduate/professional.

To apply for a Pell grant you must submit the FAFSA application every year. The Office of Financial Aid is required to verify the information on the FAFSA. If discrepancies are found, then the issues must be resolved before a payment can be made to your account.

Effective on July 1, 2012, you can receive the Federal Pell Grant for no more than 12 semesters or the equivalent (roughly six years). You’ll receive a notice if you’re getting close to your limit. If you have any questions, contact us.