Find A PhysicianHome  |  Library  |  myDownstate  |  Newsroom  |  A-Z Guide  |  E-mail  |  Contact Us  |  Directions
curve gif

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I establish New York Residency Status (for tuition billing purposes)?

Establishing New York Residency Status for Tuition Billing Purposes:

How do I view my financial aid award and get a copy of the award letter?

Then Go to: Banner Self Service
To log in, please use your Downstate Net ID/User Name and password.

How do I accept my financial aid?

Banner self-service or complete a Loan Request From.

Then Go to: Banner Self Service
To log in, please use your Downstate Net ID/User Name and password.

Forms are also online

How do I increase/decrease my awards?

Students can email Financial Aid or complete a Loan adjustment form. Forms are online.

For increases, student should speak to FA in order to determine what type of aid they are eligible for an increase.

I accepted my loans. Is there anything else I have to do for Financial Aid?

First time borrowers also need to complete the Entrance Counseling and Master promissory note for the Stafford (Direct) loan online at If the student is unsure, refer them to email or speak to someone in FA.

How do I find a federal work-study position?

All available positions are online.

If a student is requesting a federal work-study award, they must speak to someone in Financial Aid.

When can I begin completing the FAFSA?

For the 2018–19 academic year, the FAFSA is available beginning October 1, 2017.

How do supervisors who have an open federal work-study position have their position posted up?

They can reach out to Sharon McDonald or email financial aid. Sharon will work with the supervisor to ensure all the information is received for the job to be posted.

Is there anything that students need to do before their classes are dropped?

Students need to accept their charges with Bursar and accept their aid and/or submit missing documents Financial Aid.

A student completed the FAFSA. How do they know that they need to complete the TAP application?

When a student answers that they are a NYS resident and an undergraduate student on the FAFSA, they will receive a link to the TAP application. If they forget or didn't apply they can do so at The student will need their log in which is different than their FAFSA log in.